Let's take a minute out to discuss food, because New Zealand food (specifically, the food that exists in this flat) is delicious. And I like talking about food a lot.
My new favorite food is feijoas. I don't know why they don't exist in the States--they're delicious! They look like limes, but you eat them like passionfruits, by cutting them in half and then scooping out the deliciousness. It's sooooo good. I've already had two today. Jess's mom sent us a giant crate of feijoas, avocados, zucchini, and limes, so I don't feel as guilty eating expensive produce.
I had the most delicious sandwich today: think whole wheat bread, lettuce, peppers, cucumber, garlic hummus (it's really good hummus, it's the most garlicy hummus I've tasted), cream cheese, edam cheese, avocado, and salt and pepper. With a side of a feijoa. Actually two. Mmmmm. It was so good.
Yesterday I made latkes, and I think it was actually the first time I've ever made them myself. I made sure to fry them in plenty of oil, and they turned out deliciously well. I was going to make these yummy looking potato/zucchini/feta pancakes, but Joe had put all the zucchini in the quiche, so I settled for plain ones. But now that we have an excess of zucchini, I might make them tonight.
Food that I miss eating, whether it's because it's too expensive or whether they don't have it: Cheerios, nuts, dried fruit, boxed macaroni and cheese, boxed fettuccine alfredo, and Kathy-sandwiches from the Marketplace at Oxy. Oh, and sopes from Homestyle.
This weekend my whole flat plus Dan and Patrick are going up to Arthur's Pass to stay in Janey's uncle's place, and we've started planning the foodstuffs and I'm so excited. S'mores are included, as are tinfoil pizzas in the fire. It's going to be heaven in a bowl of foil.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
get better soon...it sucks being sick. i'll think of you while eating beignets and MEETING EVE ENSLER BECAUSE I AM REPRESENTING WASHINGTON AS AN OFFICIAL DELEGATE (possibly) !!!!!!
i'm also going to try those zucchini latkes next week some time between 3 papers and an exam...i know, seriously?
lovelovelove
LoneWolfCommenter
p.s. i'm mos def a delegate. possibly meeting the eve.
Post a Comment