Tuesday, April 15, 2008

jobs jobs jobs

OK OK, I know this is a lot of posting, but I wanted to share the good news with everybody...

I HAVE A JOB FOR NEXT YEAR! And it's in Admissions, where I've worked for the past two years. I'll be a senior interviewer, which means that I'll get to interview prospective students as they apply to Oxy. It's basically snap-judging people based on a 30-minute interview, and while I may not necessarily think it's hugely effective, it's something I enjoy a lot. And I really like hanging out with prospies and their families and am excited to remain working in that office because it's been one of the best parts of going to Oxy. So hooray for me!

Also, I have plans for mid-semester break! Finally! It was a little nerve-wracking because it starts tomorrow for me (technically), but I finalized them...I'm going to work on an organic farm a little north of Christchurch! It's through a program called WWOOFers (Willing Workers On Organic Farms), and I stay for free and get three meals a day with a family for working an average of 5 hours a week. I'll be weeding, composting, cutting back plants, doing housework, and perhaps taking care of animals, all depending on the weather. I'll stay with Paul and Pauline (it took everything I had not to die of laughter when I called up and had to ask "Is Paul or Pauline there?") and their two grandkids in a campervan or something (I'm not sure, she said it had heating and lots of blankets, so I said sure). It combines two key concepts that I have come across at this part in my experience: 1, that I am quickly running out of money and don't want to pay for food or accommodation, and 2, that I want to more fully invest myself in the land of New Zealand instead of feeling like a tourist who just takes, takes, takes. This works perfectly! I'm a little nervous to just take off to Cheviot and suddenly move in with a family I don't know, but I also really like integrating myself as a member of other people's families, and they both seem nice, so it should be good. I'm there for a week, and then I go back to Christchurch late on Sat. night to pick up my amigos that are spending their break in Australia (been there, done that). So woohoo for jobs on campus and for last-minute farm jobs!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

did i ever tell you about the judgment that i passed on this one football kid because he played football? i interviewed him and it turns out he's really into aeronautical science, he's the primary liaison between his school's science team and the local elementary school, he plays trombone and teaches 2 local school kids trumpet and trombone AND he's captain of the football team. he was super friendly, AND wanted to bring his new puppy up to live with him ASAP. it's the best part of the job- meeting cool kids who break stereotypes.

felicitaciones!

also, i know i've heard the 28 minute brownies in 30 minutes reference before but i embarassingly don't remember it...w&g? have fun wwoofing. with paul(ine).

Elizabeth said...

catching up on your blog makes me miss you because you write just like you talk and i can almost picture you right here telling me stories about your outdoor adventures and the people you're meeting and so forth.
congratulations on the senior interviewer position, that's awesome! btw, do you know where you're living next year? i got a single in rangeview and i think i'm going to go with that--tell me where you'll be!!!
amorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Michelle said...

ok i thought you might like another comment on your blog, on top of the email and facebook posting that i have sent you during your time "reconnecting with nature". please read into the wild, and then we can venture into the Wild together (how do you feel about the wild that they have in thailand or greece? i hear it's lovely there).

this commenting frenzy, is, of course, contingent upon your rapid updating of the blog and response to my emails when you arrive into new zealand bourgeois society from the land of the proletariat.

come home before june 2? it doesn't have to be for long, just for a weekend or so to say hi before i venture off on my own into the wild expedition (the wild, that is, being the amazonian jungle, and into retaining its original meaning). you can go back to nz after that, just be home when i get home in mid-agosto.

besos, lady.

love your hermana