Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I am conditioning my hair to behave

I have nothing to announce except that I got conditioner for the first time since I was like 10 and I now have no tangles and my hair is smooth and slightly less frizzy.

I'm going on a four-day tramp through Milford Sound (I'm such a tramper) and it's going to be freezing cold. It's supposed to be done in four days but because we're hardcore and because I'm going with two boys, we're going to try to do it in three days. I'm a little nervous for my legs (I'm going to be DEAD by the time we're done), for my fingers (those are the first to freeze if you get frostbite), and for the lack of tea that I'll be experiencing during those four days. I've grown accustomed to drinking four cups of tea or hot water with lemon a day, and I'm sorely going to miss that on the trail. I started packing my stuff and could barely lift my backpack, so I think my tradition of sorely overpacking is going to bite me. I think I just need to get used to the idea that no matter what, I'm going to be cold at night and just suck it up and not pack three thousand sweatshirts.

Last night Evan made pumpkin pie and it was like tasting Thanksgiving in a pie. It was so good. We also heated the lounge (yessssss!!!) and watched Arrested Development for two hours, so it was a good night, AND I figured out that if I stuff my hot water bottle between my sweatshirt and my coat, it really heats me up. I finally finished my term paper too, so after my next class, I'll officially be done with that and just need to present my project and take the final! It's a good day.

I'm off to research the American Jewish community's diasporic relationship with Israel and discuss how that is negotiated by modern forms of American media, mainly online forums. Once I motivate myself to leave and go into the cold to walk to the library, I feel like my research will really catch fire.

Lots of love, and lots of jealousy to those that are finishing up with school for the year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be cold in another country, because you seem to have so little control over the heat etc.--that was def an issue living with the fam in spain and involved throwing all fashion formalities out the window for the primitive need for WARMTH. Oh, the dilemmas of modern college study abroad students :) Do houses actually have central heating in nz? Keep having adventures, I am definitely living vicariously through you on this end....

oh and this is kquack