Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Good coffee has returned to my life

So one would think that Otago, a university of over 25,000 students, would be prepared for students to be freezing in their flats and need a warm space to study, but noooo--all the study spaces are constantly taken, half of them by students who aren't even physically using the space but have saved it by placing their textbooks, readings, computers, backpacks, whatever in the chairs so that no real student can come use it. It's desperately annoying. Also, their collection of books is severely lacking. I have a giant list of books that I want to reference in my paper, and only two were at the library, and only available for checkout for two hours. So irritating. The one time I want to use the library for research and it's not even helpful! I requested a few books from the Wellington Uni library, but who knows if they'll come in time to be useful for my paper.

The other day for my music class we had an African drumming workshop which was really cool. We learned a couple West African rhythms on the djembe and even synched them with some other ones on different types of drums. I think I want to find a drum circle somewhere with a spare drum and join in, Folklife-style. Maybe in my next life I'll come back as a wandering musician who joins drum circles everywhere and only showers a few times a year.

Yesterday was the capping show, which is an annual show for the upcoming graduates. It's hard to describe, but it's kind of a combination between Mr. Hudson's Bay (a fundraiser where senior boys dance around and perform "talents," to raise money for cancer research), Saturday Night Live sketches, and a comedy show. They had the girls and boys a capella groups (the Sextet and the Sexytet) perform, and all the boys from a freshman residence hall performed a ballet complete with see-through tutus and tight briefs. The whole show was extremely edgy, mildly offensive, and very college-oriented. It poked fun at local advertising on TV, school administration, the campus security, and various hick-towns around the South Island all while revolving around a Batman theme. I went with Jess and Jane, my kiwihosts, which was a good idea since they were able to explain a lot of the stuff that I didn't get.

Today I went out for breakfast at this place called The Governor's for the sole purpose of finding filter coffee. I am sick of paying upwards of $4 for a basic latte or long black, and all of NZ coffee is espresso-based, making it really expensive. Governor's has filter coffee for $1.60 and refills for $1! I was so jazzed. I can get 3 cups of coffee for the price of one ordinary one from another coffee place. I'm definitely going back soon, I've missed good coffee in my life.

Oh, and one morsel of joy: we made pizzas last night, and mine was delicious. Think whole wheat crust, tomato/garlic/basil sauce, mozzarella cheese, roasted pumpkin, pineapple, red pepper, onion, spinach, broccoli, garlic salt, mixed herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil along the crust. SO GOOD. Just let that sit in your mind for a bit.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

pineapple, broccoli and pumpkin are all delicious separate, but TOGETHER? ON A PIZZA?

let the fact that i'm done sit around for a bit. or just think of me, sitting around.

Anonymous said...

That's not pizza. That's ratatouille on whole wheat bread.