Okay, first off, muchas gracias to the many comments on the last entry...though perhaps it was a result of my shameless begging on Michelle's blog, it was much appreciated and it's always exciting to come home and see a new comment on my blog.
That being said, I am officially sick of social constructs. According to my media studies class, everything is a social construct: Orientalism is a social construct designed by the West to appropriate themselves as superior to the East, national identity is a social construct furthered by the development of print technology, and nations are social constructs with imagined communities within them defined by political borders. It's like Oxy all over again.
My first exam is tomorrow, and I'm not pleased with the exam process: I have to bring my ID card and placed in the top right-hand corner of the desk, it's held in a room I've never been to, if I bring in liquids, it has to be in a sealed clear bottle with a pop-top (making my Nalgene unacceptable), I can't bring food, if I need to go to the bathroom, I have to raise my hand second-grade-style and someone escorts me and stands outside the stall while I do my business. That sounds incredibly over-the-top. AND it's on a Saturday, and that's just really unnecessary.
Back to social constructs, diasporic communities, and armchair imperialism (furthered by the globalisation of modern media). Wish me luck tomorrow!
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
By now you are done with your Saturday exam - woo hoo! Home and gainful employment are coming your way soon. Good luck and happy last two weeks in Kiwiland.
Post a Comment