Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm going North

(Written last night, posted Tues. 6:25 AM 2/5)

Out of respect for Steve Irwin, I wrestled a giant crocodile at his Australia Zoo, and unfortunately, it's a lot harder than it looks on the Animal Planet. Crikey! Don't worry--my left hand still works really well, and I'm sure I'll get used to only having three toes.

Kidding! Only about the wrestling crocs part, I did get to go to Australia Zoo with Chloe and Robyn and it was about 3.4 trillion times cooler than any zoo I've ever been to. I pet a kangaroo (it was really lazy and lying down as if it was over the whole petting thing), pet a koala (though Aussies only use "pet" as a noun, not a verb...I refuse to give in), watched the elephants get washed down, watched a bird/croc/snake/elephant show in the Croceseum (that's right, you read it correctly), watched sea otters playing, saw wallabies, wombats, emus, camels, giant tortoises, the ten most poisonous snakes in Australia, watched tasmanian devils romping around, and watched a koala jump around from tree to tree and kick another koala out, and tons more. It was incredible! I am officially in love with koalas and have every intention of sneaking one in on my carry-on luggage. After looking at them for a while, though, they're kind of funny-looking, they kind of look like old men. It's hilarious. Driving everywhere in Brisbane is really cool too, because there's murals on the freeways of native Australia flora and animals, and they're gorgeous to look at. The murals, that is. Though the animals are too.

I've had the best time here in Brisbane, a major shout-out going to Julia and Robyn and Chloe and Hannah for letting me crash in their house and take over their weekend! They've been a huge help in orienting me in Australia both before and during my trip, and have been very generously integrating me into their family like another daughter. It's so comforting to know that I have friends on this huge continent as I go off to travel around other areas.

Tomorrow I head out to Cairns, which should be fun since I feel like I'll like the tropics. Hopefully I can avoid any embarrassing frizzy hair debacles (pshaw--yeah right--like my hair will avoid any opportunity to frizz itself) and make it through without turning into a sticky sweaty mess. I had my first encounter with a cockroach last night, and it scared the hell out of me--it was on the floor and hopped out totally harmlessly, and I still sweated under the covers instead of sleeping on top of them out of fear that they would somehow manage to hop onto my bed. I also had to do some acrobatic moves to avoid stepping on the floor for a couple hours, and this morning I spent an embarrassing amount of time making sure it was safe to step around. Long story short, if there's any cockroaches in Cairns, I'm probably going to have a heart attack and will end up awkwardly hiding in my sleeping bag or something. Here's to no cockroaches in Cairns!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm loving your posts, Rachel! I'm so happy that you had a great time in Brisbane and that you got to spend time with your penpal and friends. Also, please do koala-nap a koala and bring him/her back to Oxy. It's not like it's hard, so I'll be really upset in August if your sweet new room in Rangeview is koala-less.
You knew more about the Superbowl (football, right?) in Australia than I did/do here, so kudos on that. I am in Washington, D.C. right now for my Anderson grant week but it's not the same without our crazy Spitzer group! I will say hello to the capital and the weird fog outside the Washington monument for you though. Love and luck coming your way always!

Michelle said...

i hope you sing going north really loudly while you're en route. actually, they'll probably recognize her there, so that's kind of cool. also cool? that i bought a ticket so i'll be there, seeing her, loving her and likely stalking her because, well, she's missy.
also, i had my interview for student addmissions interviewer today (i know! it's like my dream job, i love the interview) and i think it went well, mostly because i love interviews. it didn't hurt that the interview was with my friend megan's mom who also happened to take care of and adore douglas. also, it was with this other guy who reminded me of arman though i have never met arman. hopefully i get the job because this will be humiliating if i don't because this is quite public. but i think i will, i'm very loveable in interviews.
miss you, don't come home with weird food habits aka vegemite/no garlic. we won't deal with that stuff here. amorrrr

The Balance Beam Situation said...

I would have disowned you had you not made a going north reference at all in this blog.

Blog.